Tips For Taking Better Instagram Pictures


9/16/2015



It's safe to say, I am Instagram obsessed. I usually post a picture once a day but sometimes if I'm really feeling it, you'll catch me uploading maybe 3-4 in less than 24 hours! I've been using the app for a few years now and I can't see myself getting sick of it. I post so often that I feel like I've pretty much got it sussed and can offer a few tips now. I am frequently asked the same questions about my posts, so hopefully these simple tips will come in handy to those who were wondering!




Lots of Light

I feel like this one is key to any good photograph. You can now edit your photos within the Instagram app itself, so after you take a photo you should play around with brightness tools to make your photo appear more clearly. However, I advise only brightening up a little bit otherwise the subject can end up looking washed out. I also like to play around with contrast/highlight/shadows too.




Keep Things Interesting

I find that flat-lay photos look really nice when snapping food, beauty products and my personal favourite - coffee! I also like to take my entire grid into consideration too, so when people come to my profile they are absolutely BLOWN AWAY by how beautiful it looks. Just kidding! I do actually take the entire grid into consideration though because it is nice to have a "look" that is unique to you and your personality. 




Take A Few Practice Shots

My camera rolls is often filled with multiple photos of the same thing. Sometimes it just takes a few tries before you get the right snap. This can be frustrating because it takes up so much space on your phone, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, you know?




Make Use Of  Other Apps Too

The question I am most frequently asked is, what app do you use? Instagram has made things a lot easier now that you can edit your photos within the app, however I am still a huge fan of using other apps with more features to edit your photos before uploading them. 

I use the Afterlight app to edit all of my photos, probably just out of habit at this stage. My favourite filter is Russ and I like to add a grainy effect over the top. I keep each of my photos square, however I'm really loving the Instagram feature that allows you to upload bigger photos. I think this will look great for outfit posts in particular. 

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of white borders on my grid, however, this is purely personal preference and I think they can look great if they are used consistently!




Tap To Focus

We've all be there. You try to take a quick photo only to later discover how horribly out of focus it is. This is a handy tip I picked up recently for creating a sharp image with the best possible light. To avoid an out of focus snap, tap the screen at the point you would like to focus - this will sharpen the photo at that point and it just makes the entire image really crisp.  It also adjusts the exposure and white balance of the photo, e,g, if you tap on a white area of the photo, the entire image will darken.


Make sure to follow me on Instagram here and share any of your own tips below!

xo, Karen

Post a Comment

A Stitch To Wear © . Quinn Creatives .